From:
Paul Monfils <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Nov 2000 18:01:30 -0500
Many years ago, when I was actively exchanging shells with other
collectors, a European collector wrote me (on paper!  no email back
then!) and asked if I had any "turret shells" to trade.  I sent him a
short list of the Turritellidae I had on hand.  A few weeks later I
received a letter saying that he wasn't interested in Turritellidae, but
in Turridae.  Later, a collector in Japan contacted me and asked for
turret shells.  This time I took no chances, and sent him a list of my
Turritellidae and Turridae.  Unfortunately "turret shell" to him meant
Latiaxis.  And so it goes with common names.
Paul M.