From:
Herb Chapin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Jan 2001 07:54:35 EST
David:

I couldn't agree more.  In my native section of Lake Erie between Cleveland
and Toledo, Ohio, we've been installing piers, jetties, groins,
breakwalls...call them what you will, they still don't work...since the
1940's.  I have yet to see one that didn't either fail where it was or simply
move the damage to an area further down the shoreline.

And, getting pumped through several miles of large diameter pipe certainly
doesn't do the sealife any good when sand is sucked up from the bottom of a
body of water to renourish a beach on a barrier island...again with only
temporary relief of the status of the beach.  We own a condo on West Gulf
Drive across from the Gulf.  Maybe in 20 years or so we'll be the proud
owners of gulf-front property after all and we can just roll out of bed in
the morning and start shelling from our front porch.

Herb Chapin