From:
Constantine Mifsud <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Jan 2001 17:46:38 +0100
Cloud Zhang wrote:

> Dear Lynn and Conch-ler:
> One I more interest, a specimen find it at just passed
> the Christmas day. A "Dragon shell" (not Worm shell!) I say so because
> it's so big, I have no see or hear before (or maybe I need more experience)
> anyway it's not so often can see it. At the location it was about 280mm in
> length, 12mm and 3.7mm in diameter at two ends, shell pure white, thin,
> hard and very fragile. It was stick on a piece long wood under side, that
> wood hard like ston, it's float on shallow water at a small and quiet cove,
> after turnover the wood then I saw it, the body about 11", the head deep
> down into the wood's center. I had do my best job try to taking it out but
> it still break, only obtain two  big pieces one is tail 110mm; other one is part
> of body 135mm and some  small pieces. The end of the tail is open and a
> small notch at front,  much  thick and strong more than body shell. The
> soft part was full length with the shell. I'd took some live images but only
> select three, two before work:side with  a hammer, and one is after shell
> break show inside soft part, and of course some home works.
> So, if you interest please let me know, and I need somebody  tell me
> what's this species name. Any advice are grateful.

Cloud,
if you open the tube (if it is a Teredinid ) you should find two pallets at the small
end and two shells at the rear end of your "worm". The pallets are the most important
parts for identifying your specimen. If you need more help contact me privately.

--
Constantine Mifsud
4, Shepherds' Str.,