From:
helmut nisters <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Feb 2001 09:02:32 -0500
Dear Kurt, dear Conchlers,

sorry I don't know these rules in America. If it is so I don't send living
snails to James. Sorry.
But he can have a dry collection for studying the different species of
European landshells.
with best regards
Helmut

Helmut "Helix" Nisters
private:
Franz-Fischer-Str. 46
A-6020 Innsbruck / Austria / Europe
phone: 0043 / 512 / 57 32 14
e-mail: [log in to unmask]
website: www.netwing.at/nisters
office:
Natural History Department of the
Tiroler Landesmuseum Ferdinandeum Innsbruck
Feldstrasse 11a
A-6020 Innsbruck / Austria / Europe
phone: 0043 / 512 / 58 72 86 - 37
e-mail: [log in to unmask]
website: www.tiroler-landesmuseum.at

----------
Dear Helmut,

I'm more than surprised to see your comment below in a public forum.
<underline>The reason these snails should not be sent to James or anyone
else is simply that it is against the law in the United
States....period.</underline>  The authorities in the US are of the
opinion that an individual cannot be 100% sure that the snails will not
escape into the wild.  And I agree, as do most biologists.

Again, I'm surprised at this blatant disregard for rules put in place to
protect the native biota.  If you need further clarification on this
topic please contact Dr. David Robinson, United States Department of
Agriculture, officed at the Academy of Natural Sciences in Philadelphia,
PA.  I'm sure he has an opinion on this issue.

Kurt

"If you