From:
Henk and Zvia Mienis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Feb 2001 22:35:21 +0200
Dear James,
Certain snails are selfreproducing when not a mate is available. An example
among the landsnails is Rumina decollata. Among the freshwater snails
parthenogenic reproduction occurs even more often. Populations of
Potamopyrgus antipodarum (= formerly jenkinsi), an invading Hydrobiid snail
in Europe originating from New Zealand,  consist usually solely of females
and they are reproducing profusely. The same is true for Melanoides
tuberculata. In all these cases a single female can start a new population
without mating with a male. That's one of the reason why they are such
successful colonizers.
Best regards,
Henk K. Mienis