From:
Phil Liff-Grieff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Feb 2001 16:17:54 -0800
This scenario seems highly unlikey.  The edible snails that you are refering to
are Helicidae, either Helix aspersa or Otala lactea.  The local snails are
Helminthoglytidae.  My understanding is that the differences in reproductive
organs is rather distinct from species to species and I would suspect that,
from family to family, the differences would be rather insurmountable.  This
sounds like a wonderful malacological  "urban myth".

I wonder, has anyone ever collected these types of stories?  It could make for
enjoyable reading.

All the best,

Phil Liff-Grieff