From:
Michael LaFosse <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 26 May 2001 15:29:05 -0400
 Joseph B. Martin wrote:

> Is there a way to get a conch out of the shell without killing it?  .....
>
> 1.  Is there a way for a conch to be removed from its shell without killing
> it?

If you are dealing with a live conch, and not a "hermit crab" inhabiting a
conch shell, the answer is no; just as there is no way to remove your brain
from your skull so that you can live for long and that a skull collector can
have your skull.

> 2.  If there is, how?
>
> 3.  Can it move from one shell to another?
>
> 4.  Can a conch live outside its original shell?

Not for long.  The shell is an important part of the animal's anatomy.