From:
Kay Lavalier <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 May 2001 20:34:27 -0400
Andrew Vik

Dear All:

Are some species of Cypraea sexually dimorphic in size? My understanding
of cowrie growth is that once they achieve the adult aperture (i.e.,
flattened parietal shield, well formed teeth) that they do not continue
to substantially increase in size. The C. eglantina that I collected in
Hong Kong last week are of two distinct average sizes: 5 cm. long by 3
cm. wide, and 7 cm. long by 3.8 cm. wide. As a matter of fact, I only
took one of the large ones because all of the other observed large
individuals were sitting on egg masses.

I ask because none of the other cypraeids that I have personally
collected (only 8 other species) have displayed this kind of size
differential.

Yours, Andrew V.