From:
Aydin Orstan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 May 1998 13:17:09 -0400
Hi everyone,

Since I subscribed to CONCH-L last November, the subject of how to clean
shells have been discussed many times. When I looked thru the CONCH-L
archives I realized that there had already been similar discussions prior to
that date. It seems that every few months somebody inquires about it, we
discuss it for a few days, then we forget about it until the next newcomer
asks about it again. So I propose that one of us go thru the CONCH-L
archives, compile everything that has been said on shell cleaning into a
document & put it up on the Conchologists of America Web site. That way when
somebody inquires about how to clean shells, we can direct the person to that
document without having to reiterate what has been already said. And, because
(1) the evaluation of the effectiveness of a cleaning method is mostly
subjective; (2) there are disagreements over the use of certain substances
(for example, bleach); (3) not everyone may have access to every suggested
tool, I also propose that every reasonable method that has been suggested,
along with pro & con opinions, be included in the compilation.

What do you say? Any volunteers?

A.