From:
Ellen Bulger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Jul 2001 21:19:53 EDT
I still haven't packed my shells. I'm saving that task for last. But I've
been collecting boxes and packaging for them. So I've been comparing the
sizes of shells in order to estimate what I'll need.

I noticed that the milk conchs I collected off Georgetown on Great Exuma are
easily twice the size of the milk conchs I got behind the Governors Harbour
Airport on Eleuthera (with the Cordys on one of their terrific trips).
Likewise the Exuman hawkwing conchs are almost twice the size of the
hawkwings from Eleuthera. What gives?

The milk conchs off Eleuthera are there in quantity. We saw hundreds and
hundreds of them grazing on the seabed and the beach was just littered with
the empty shells. In Exuma, they aren't especially common. Do they get bigger
where there is less competition for food? Does anyone have any ideas?

Ellen (Who is stalling on her packing)