From:
Kobie Du Preez <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Aug 2001 08:21:46 +0200
The Conchological Society of Southern Africa has a special publication on Achatinidae and the name is on my homepage, on the landshells and snails section. I shell send you the price as soon as I get it from the author.

Regards, Groetnis

Kobie du Preez
http://home.global.co.za/~peabrain

>>> [log in to unmask] 08/18 7:08 AM >>>
Alan is quite right the best book published so far dealing with Achatina is the monograph by Bequaert, J.C., 1950. Studies in the Achatininae - A group of African land snails. Bull. Mus. Comp. Zool. Harvard, 105. 2nd hand copies are offered from time to time for less than $ 40.-.
Other useful papers are an earlier work by Bequaert & Clench or was it Clench & Bequaert (the species group dealt with in that paper is not treated in the above mentioned monograph) and some smaller follow up papers by Crowley and Pain published in the Journal of Conchology.
If you use Bequaert's work I advice you to get also a copy of Abbott's Compendium of landsnails for coloured illustrations of most of the main types recognized among the Achatina's.

Henk K. Mienis