From:
Carol Bodine <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Aug 2001 20:49:43 -0500
Paul,
Thanks for that interesting Zebra update.  I've seen first hand how
destructive they have been to native mussels in Lake Erie.  And the economic
impact has been tremendous.  Last fall I saw a large stump that had washed
ashore on "my" Lake Michigan beach.  The entire thing, attached roots and
all, was covered in Zebra mussels.  I would have loved to have taken it for
display purposes, but I'd have needed a crane to lift it!  Too bad we can't
attach radio trasmitters to our freshwater mussels, or what's left of them.

Carol