From:
"Orstan, Aydin" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Sep 2001 08:15:59 -0400
A small correction to David's post. Many of the out of print MGS
publications are available in microfiche, not microfilm. In case some of you
are not aware of the difference, a microfilm comes in a reel like the old 8
mm movies with each page exposed in sequence, whereas a microfiche is a
transparent sheet (film) with several pages exposed on it in rows & columns.
I don't have an example with me, but I think each sheet is about 10x12 cm. I
haven't had a chance to try this out, but it should be possible to use a
scanner to read a microfiche, although each page is smaller than a usual
35-mm exposure. However, it would be very cumbersome to do the same with
microfilm, for which one needs a microfilm reader.

The address for the MGS publications page:
http://www.mgs.md.gov/esic/publications/pubindex.html

Aydin