From:
HERVIEUX solange <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 28 Oct 2001 08:29:47 +0100
Ellen,

First you could list the dangerous species and learn how to identify them.
Here, in New-Caledonia, the most dangerous ones are : C.geographus,
C.striatus, C.tulipa and C.textile; the following species present a real
danger : C.aulicus, C.marmoreus, C.omaria, C.magnificus and C.magus.
All these shells are easily recognizable...
Even wearing gloves, we always avoid handling cones too long time.We place
them in a small hermetic plastic box in which we first put one or two folded
plastic bags to protect them from shocks.
Then we put the box under our wetsuit if we are skin diving or in a pocket
of our stabilizing jacket when we are scuba diving and Bob's your uncle!

Regards

Solange and Serge