Date:
Mon, 5 Nov 2001 18:07:38 -0500
Here are the current problems in sorting out names used in molecular papers:

Idas arcuatilis-is this Adipicola arcuatilis Dell, 1987?

WHat is the current (or majority) rank of Amblemidae/inae?  What genera are generally included?

Cerastoderma glaucum: author and date (Bruguiere 1792 or Poiret, 1789)

Austrovenus stutchburyi: is it yi or ii?  Wood or Gray in Wood, 1828?

Does Linnaeus 1767 validate any names from 1758?  I find some names attributed to 1767 in my reprint of the 1758 edition, and the descriptions are not obviously worse than the others, but I have not carefully examined to see if these particular ones lack figure citations or other specifics.

Congeria kusceri Bole, 1962 Was this originally described as Congeria?

Crassostrea belcheri author and date?

Crassostrea nipponica (Seki, 1934) is this correct, or is nippona the right spelling?

Ctena divergens (Philippi, 1850) correct attribution?

Ctenoides annulatus (Lamarck, 1818) correct attribution?

Any thoughts on the validity of Scapharca, Larkina, and Diluvarca as genera, subgenera, or synonyms of Anadara?

author of variety profunda for Dreissena bugensis? (not formal nomenclature)

Glycymeris pedunculus from the Red Sea, attributed to Linnaeus, 1758-is this an error for pectunculus, or are there other similarly named glycymerids from the Red Sea?

Lampsilis claibornensis (Lea, 1838) Is this the correct author and year?

Loligo bleekeri Keferstein, 1866  I think it was originally described as Loligo but have no proof.

Forskal, 1775 how do you spell his name?  Please describe the diacritical marks accents, as they often do not transmit correctly.  Three references have given different spellings.  I think there should be a little circle over the a.

Mizuhopecten-is it a valid genus, subgenus, or what?

Saccostrea cucullata: Stenzel ,1971 claimed it should be cuccullata; no one seems to believe him.

Thanks for previous help and any new information!

    Dr. David Campbell
    Old Seashells
    46860 Hilton Dr #1113
    Lexington Park MD 20653 USA

That is Uncle Joe, taken in the masonic regalia of a Grand Exalted Periwinkle of the Mystic Order of Whelks-P.G. Wodehouse, Romance at Droigate Spa

Sent via the WebMail system at mail.davidson.alumlink.com