From:
William Corey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Nov 2001 02:19:54 EST
          It is my pleasure to be associated with like-minded shell-lovers.
I am a past member of COA and an enthusiastic collector of Beautiful shells
from all regions and from many different Families.  My main interest is in
the Conidae but I also have a number of Cypraea and representatives from the
Muricidae and others.  It is impossible for me to limit myself to any one
Family.
          My interest in shells began about five years ago when I was
visiting the Philippines.  I casually walked into a little shell shop that
was packed with shells.  I was astonished by the variety of color and form.
I just had to buy "a few" of the more showy ones that caught my attention.  I
was never the same after that.  I went back to the Philippines in succeeding
years and each time, brought back more and more shells.  Then I started
studying the lists of shell dealers around the world.  Before I knew it I had
a rapidly expanding collection.  It is amazing how fast one can build a good
collection, if it is done with care, taste and enthusiasm.  Now, I have my
collection housed in a 14 drawer cabinet which is very nearly filled.  I
don't have a large collection by many people's standards (perhaps 500, only),
but I do have a number of rare and beautiful specimens, a few, of which are
among the rarest "Gems" on the Planet.  I enjoy making new friends and
learning about how other people manage their collections and studies of
Mollusca.  Thank You for reading my brief commentary. Wil.