From:
Masashi Yamaguchi <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Nov 2001 12:40:22 +0900
> Tridacna spp. for the aquarium trade are not harvested from the wild,
they
> are raised and bred in captivity. I'm sure specimens obtained in this
way
> can be traded and exported/imported legally, as long as the necessary
> permits and certificates are in place (sounds like a lot of red tape
> me). Anyone out there with more information?

I am not up to date about the project, but Mr. Fa'anunu of Ministry of
Fisheries ([log in to unmask]) might be able to offer cultured
tridacnids
from their hatchery, including T. gigas. JICA has been assisting the
Tongan
Fisheries and Aquaculture Development Program that included giant clam
seed production for stock enhancement.

Other giant clam hatchery still active might be found in the Marshall
Islands but I have no contact address.

Masashi Yamaguchi
Faculty of Science
University of the Ryukyus