From:
"Monfils, Paul" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Mar 2002 14:49:59 -0500
Recommendations have previously appeared on Conch-L regarding initial
purchases from shell dealers. Even if the dealer lists several rare items at
uncommonly attractive prices, it is a good idea to resist the temptation to
dash off an order for a few hundred dollars, if you do not know the dealer
by experience, or at least by broad reputation. A small initial order or two
minimizes risk to the buyer, while allowing you to assess the dealer's
quality of merchandise and service, promptness of shipping, etc. If there is
anything unsatisfactory about the shells you receive, you can also assess
the dealer's graciousness and promptness in responding to your complaint.
The current thread illustrates that such a conservative approach is even
more important in trading. Apart from the issue of downright dishonesty, a
number of other factors are involved. The person who approaches you
requesting a trade may not be as experienced as you are, and may have quite
a different view of what constitutes an acceptable specimen.  They may not
be as knowledgeable in identifying species. They may not be experienced in
packing shells for shipment, with the result that specimens are chipped in
transit. I once agreed to trade with a young collector in Europe, whose
exchange list consisted of about 25 common local species. I sent him a few
common shells, and he promptly sent me a selection of his local shells - in
an envelope!  Needless to say, I didn't receive much of value. But I didn't
risk much of value either. Also, consider that almost all shells a collector
may offfer in trade are his "seconds". This is not to say that they are
necessarily defective. They may be beautiful gem specimens, but still, a
private collector is not going to send you his very best specimens, any more
than you would give away your best specimens. A reputable dealer on the
other hand often has a larger stock to select from, and will send you the
very best he/she has in stock. So, regardless of what treasures appear on a
collector's trade list, resist the temptation to request a large number of
shells initially, especially if you are expected to send your shells first.
Start with a small trade or two, to guage each other's level of quality,
knowledge, reliability, and amicability. Then move on to more valuable
exchanges. And never send more in an initial parcel than you can comfortably
afford to lose.

Paul M.