From:
Andrew Grebneff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Jun 2002 22:13:37 +1200
>Now that you mention it, this would be a nice subject for discussion.
>
>Is selenizone's etymology related to selenium if so what does selenium
>mean in Roman [read Latin] or in Greek? The moon "selene" or "sele"
>brightness - light. Must be the opposite of tellurium or tellu - earth??
>
>Aha! Now I remember does selenizone have to do with the moon??

I suspect Emilio knows... but for those who don't, yes, the
selenizone is named for the "new-moon"-shaped growthlines most
selenizone-bearing gastropod shells produce where they curve around
the end of the labral slit or notch. Living taxa: Pleurotomariidae,
most Scissurellidae, slit Fissurellidae, some "turrids". The
selenizone is the track left by the slit as the shell grows by labral
accretion, and is often bounded by raised cords or lirae.
--
Andrew Grebneff
165 Evans St, Dunedin 9001, New Zealand