From:
Amy Edwards <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Sep 2002 11:41:35 -0400
Hi,

Over the weekend I received some complaints from list subscribers concerning
posts to the list, personal emails from one subscriber to another, and
forwarding personal email to the list.  I decided to post my answers to the
whole list, since what I am about to post really does effect all conch-l
list subscribers.

1) None of the list owners can do anything about email one individual sends
directly to another, even if you are both subscribers to conch-l.  Our rules
of conduct only apply to email sent through conch-l.  If you receive email
from someone which offends you you can email the person who sent it to you
or email the postmaster of the ISP where the user account is located.  This
does not mean we endorse bad behavior, we just cannot help you resolve this
problem.

2) Posting email that someone sent directly to you back to a public list
without their permission is BAD BEHAVIOR, so just don't do it.  You are
making public what was initially private communication and that is not
acceptable on public lists.  If you want to repeat what someone said ask
their permission first.

3) People make mistakes, they post things to lists by mistake, or when they
are brain dead and regret it later.  Give each other a break, ignore it,
forget it, move on.  There are so many other more interesting and important
things to discuss.

4) People who cannot learn to control their fingers will have their
subscription set to "review by list owners".  That means one of us will have
to review each and every email that subscriber posts.  You don't want this
and WE don't want this.  We DO have better things to do then approve each
email everyone posts.  So as a favor to me (and the rest of the list owners)
don't make us add anyone to the review list.  Subscribers who continue to
violate list policies will be removed from the list.

5) All new or renewed subscriptions to conch-l are by DEFAULT set to "review
by list owner".  This was a measure the list owners had to take because of
previous subscriber problems.  If you are a new subscriber or recently
re-subscribed please don't take offense, because none is intended.  We
periodically review the "review by list owners" setting on subscriptions and
change this when appropriate.

If anyone has any concerns, problems or issues with the above feel free to
send email directly to me.

Amy