From:
Dan Yoshimoto <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Oct 2002 18:38:47 -0800
In Japan there are not only "wild" Chlamys nobilis but they are also
raising them in Miwasaki Bay, Wakayama Prefecture, Japan.  Several months
ago, when my wife and I went to many fresh seafood markets, each one had at
least 10 color varieties.  At this point, I am not sure what the real color
might be but it was an interesting experience to be able to "dive for" (in
the tanks, of course) for the colors that we wanted.  And cheap!!!
Dan

>        A company on Cape Cod, Massachusetts, U.S.A. raises genetically
>engineered Argopecten irradians (or Aequipecten, whichever is the current
>placement).  Anyway, the company breeds these scallops for shell color, and
>has produced several brilliant hues - yellow, orange, red, violet, and
>combinations.  Originally their principal market was upscale restaurants in
>Japan, which used the scallops as a garnish on fancy seafood dishes.  I once
>inquired why these restaurants didn't just use small Chlamys nobilis, which
>are just as brightly colored, and are locally common, rather than importing
>expensive substitutes from the other side of the world.  I was told "they
>just wanted something more exotic".  I guess exoticness lies in the eye of
>the beholder.
>
>        Paul M.

Dan & Hiromi Yoshimoto
1164 Vista Dr.