From:
mario millones <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Oct 2002 16:19:41 -0700
Did someone knows the Spanish common name for Architectonica nobilis (Also
known  as Solarium granulatum, Solarium granosum, Solarium quadriceps,
Solarium verrocosum, Solarium quadriseriatum, Archtectonica
valenciennessii, Solarium sexlineare, Architectonica wroblewskyi, Solariun
ordinarium, Solarioum intraornatum, Solarium ordinarium, Solarium
villarelloi, Solarium gatunense, Architectonica corusca)
Thanks for your help.
Mario

--On Tuesday, October 29, 2002 4:47 PM -0500 "Monfils, Paul"
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>         A company on Cape Cod, Massachusetts, U.S.A. raises genetically
> engineered Argopecten irradians (or Aequipecten, whichever is the current
> placement).  Anyway, the company breeds these scallops for shell color,
> and has produced several brilliant hues - yellow, orange, red, violet, and
> combinations.  Originally their principal market was upscale restaurants
> in Japan, which used the scallops as a garnish on fancy seafood dishes.
> I once inquired why these restaurants didn't just use small Chlamys
> nobilis, which are just as brightly colored, and are locally common,
> rather than importing expensive substitutes from the other side of the
> world.  I was told "they just wanted something more exotic".  I guess
> exoticness lies in the eye of the beholder.
>
>         Paul M.

Mario Millones
320 Harvard Street SE
Albuquerque, NM 87106