From:
"Paolo G. Albano" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 3 Nov 2002 11:04:59 +0100
Concerning recent shells I have clearly in mind the importance of giving
time details in the shell labels (I usually write even the day if I know it).
But when it comes to fossils, the exact time of collecting seems less
important and can give information more on when a site was accessible than
on the specimens themselves.
Apart the fact that I think on shell (recent & fossil) labels the valid
rule is always "the more the better",  what the accuracy to be given to
labels in this case?
For example: when searching a single site for few times in a year or a few
years, does it have any sense to attach to any shell its correct day of
collecting?  May it be enough to just cite the period you used to go to
that spot?
Thanks,
Paolo

Paolo Giulio ALBANO