Date:
Thu, 28 Nov 2002 09:27:09 +0100
Dear Conch-Lers,

I have once ordered a "facsimile" of:

Clark, H.L. (1946). The echinoderm fauna of Australia: its composition and its origin. Carnegie Institution of Washington Publication, 566. Carnegie Institution Washington: Washington DC, USA. 1-567 pp.

The company (will not mention their name as I presume they all have about the same service) stated that it would be an exact replica of the original, but what I received was a cheap binding of print-outs, apparently originating from pdf-files, based on scans. The scans weren't even taken straight, as some of the pages are inclined in an angle of about 10 to 15°. And we had to pay US $ 65 (including shipping)!

Conclusion: you get better material when you go out to the library and take the time to copy the whole book you need yourself!!

I do hope though that someone has had better experiences since with Books-on-Demand services, as it is a very valuable resource, if properly managed!

best regards,

Jan Haspeslagh