From:
Paul Kanner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 14 Dec 2002 10:24:28 -0800
With the exception of Cypraea and some of the sand dwellers that keep
themselves free of encrustation, almost everything in my collection has been
altered in some way from how it appeared in its natural habitat. I rarely
see cones offered with the periostracum intact. Specimens are bleached,
scrubbed and picked at to remove marine growth. Most of us enjoy the
aesthetics of a specimen as well as the rarety. A filed lip sure looks
better than a rough broken one. As long as it is disclosed to the buyer, who
cares?
Happy Holidays,
Paul Kanner