From:
Livett Family <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Jan 2003 01:12:55 +1100
Dear David,
I have observed the same behavior (bedding down and expelling water) in a
Conus textile that I kept for a while in my marine aquarium. The cone first
mounted the smaller prey shell and envenomated it before using its foot to
roll the prey shell over so it could more easily access the 'soft parts'.
During this procedure it forcebly expelled water and bedded down fast on the
prey. It then envenomated a second time. I have a video (VHS) of the event
and those who have seen it are most impressed. Your photo image of the Conus
aureus is most impressive. What a beautifully marked shell. As cones are
crepuscular, I entrained my Conus textile to be active in my light period by
reversing the day night cycle in the room with the marine aquarium tank.
That way I could photograph (in dim lighting) during my day hours. You may
try the same. I look forward to seeing photos of further activity in the
tank. As to a name, I find it hard to go beyond the Simpsons' character
Linus or Lisa, depending on what you judge the appropriate sex to be.

Cheers,

Bruce