From:
Ross Mayhew <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Feb 2003 03:32:40 +0000
Thanks for the tips, Andrew!  I am asking Avril to alter the part about
various species using a thick, protective periostracum "overcoat" in
order to survive below the Carbonate Compensation Depth - that one just
slipped by me.  Much of the really technical stuff about variations in
the "Turrid notch" is not too relevant to the usual readership of the
article, which i am aiming at the Junior High to High school level.  //
I guess a little note about Thatcheria having several fossil (ie,
extinct) species, would be interesting - i tend to completely ignore
extinct species personally, except for selling a few every now and then
:--).//  Regarding the paucity of shallow-water Turrids,  which is odd
considering that Polychaete worms have no such pattern (although perhaps
the SMALL species that Turrids are able to successfully catch, are also
uncommon in the shallow water zone?  Anyone??) - i will leave it up to
Avril whether to modify the appropriate section of the article
accordingly - sounds like a good idea, however!! (Avril does all the
editing on the site now:  i just contribute a bit every now and then,
and lurk in the backbground in case she has a question or two i might be
able to answer.....).

-Ross M.