From:
Patty Jansen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Mar 2003 17:51:43 +1100
Dear Marien (and others interested in the subject),

I think you seriously underestimate the interest in a possible third
edition. The US is the country with the largest number of shell collectors
in the world, and there are an estimated 10,000 of them. It would also be
very wrong to assume that the market is limited to shell collectors. I bet
about 30-50% of public libraries in the US would purchase a copy for
reference, and some even a second copy for borrowing, then there's the
institutes, the scientists, the museums, the universities, and that is just
within the US. It is also wrong to assume that people who have a copy will
not buy an update; actually I think these are the most likely candidates to
buy an update, because anyone who has this book knows it's worth it's
weight in gold (and that's a lot because it's very heavy). I think assuming
that collectors who already have the second edition will not buy the third
would be akin to accusing these shellers of not wanting to keep up-to-date
with the latest taxonomy. A LOT has changed since 1974. We have seen almost
30 years of increasing scientific research in many families, especially the
lesser-known ones.

I have already expressed my disbelief to others privately, that I simply
cannot believe a country with as many shell collectors and researchers as
the US hasn't up till now been able to get it's ..... into gear to update
the malacological literature in it's own territory.

If ever someone will update American Seashells, it's sure to be a hit. I am
sure many people will agree with me... now someone do it please??

Patty

(who bought her copy of the second edition for $20 last year)

Dr. Patty Jansen

Bookshop: http://www.booksofnature.com
Publishing and info site: http://www.capricornica.com

Books of Nature
P.O. Box 345
Lindfield NSW 2070
Australia

phone/fax: 02 9415 8098 international: +61 2 9415 8098

E-mail: [log in to unmask] or [log in to unmask]