From:
Simon Aiken <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Apr 2003 20:35:26 +0100
Thanks for your interesting E-mail, Chris.  I've seen some of these
"sinistral" fakes myself, and they are indeed works of art.  They can
usually be spotted by examining the canal, especially in a fake Conus.

The other way to tell the fakes is from the price - if it's too good to
be true, it most likely is...  Someone in the Philippines once tried to
sell me a "sinistral" Pterynotus loebbeckei, and a little playful
haggling soon brought the price down below a regular (dextral) specimen!
(It was a beautiful "craft item", incidently...)