From:
David Kirsh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 6 Jul 2003 21:18:56 +0000
(Note: I sent this twice yesterday but didn't get it back through the
list-serv).

Thank you, everyone, for your discussion about eulimids on echinoderms.

Just to clarify, Constantine: you've found eulimids on other echinoderms but
not on sea cucumbers? Or do you mean, they readily fall off but are not
attached to their hosts?

David Kirsh
Durham, NC

From: Constantine Mifsud
Subject: Re: sea cuke shells

I have found a number of Eulimids on their host from the Mediterranean
(mostly published in La Conchiglia). Our shells are all small and difficult
to see on their host so, the echinoids a rinsed in fresh water for a few
seconds and put back in the sea. Any Eulimids present will fall off the host
and the fresh water is then passed through a sieve. NOT all echinoids host
eulimids. Some species may be found common on a particular echinoid but MOST
others are rarely found. Vitreolina philippi is present on nearly every
shallow water sea urchin. However, in 20 plus years I have found only ONE
out of about 300 Genocidaris maculata (a tiny sea urchin) on which its
parasite Pelseneeria minor was present!
To date after many years of research, and hundreds of specimens examined, I
have never found a single Sea cucumber with its parasites attached.
The Japanese "Trepang" consists of the Ovaries of Holothurians not the body.
In most of the Mediterranean countries the ovaries of the sea urchin
Paracentrotus lividus is considered a delicacy. It is usually taken during
the Full moon phases.
Thanks to all those who participated in this interesting thread.
--
Constantine Mifsud,
4, Shepherds' Street,