From:
Simon Aiken <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 17 Aug 2003 18:38:33 +0100
Dear Tink,

Bear in mind that data for beached shells tell you nothing about the
habitat of the living animal, and can sometimes be totally erroneous.
There've been instances of Indo-Pacific shells being found on Florida
beaches - the result of a child buying a basket of "tourist shells" in a
local shell shop and then wandering along the beach dropping a few...

There are plenty of well-known instances of commercial shelling
decimating shell populations, but I hope that there are no recent
examples of "serious" shell collectors doing damage.  (Anyone want to
mention any?!)  I know hundreds of shell collectors all round the world,
and I find them to be uniformly eco-minded.  Conscientious collectors of
live molluscs only take the very best specimens, and for almost all
species that means that only a tiny proportion are going to be perfect
enough (and adult).  Commercial collectors just scoop up every single
specimen available, which is a sure way to damage the population.

As a shell dealer myself, I know that the vast majority of collectors
want live-taken specimens - mainly for the colour and well-preserved
sculpture, but also for the reliability of the data.  (Yes, I do sell
dead-collected specimens too, but the price has to be a small fraction
of the price of a live gem.)