From:
Carlos Afonso <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Aug 2003 08:30:31 -0700
Dear Olivier,

Both species are commonly found in the Portuguese
littoral zone, where they co-exist and form mixed
populations. The morphological similarities of the two
taxa and the considerable variability within each
species makes their differentiation difficult. I
suggest you read the article mentioned bellow to try
and clarify your dough’s (if by any chance you can’t
access it I can mail you a copy):

Machado, M. M. & Costa, A. M. (1994). Enzymatic and
morphological criteria for distinguishing between
Cardium edule and Cardium glaucum of the Portuguese
coast. Marine Biology, (120): 535-544.

Best regards,
Carlos Afonso (South, Portugal)