From:
Andrew Grebneff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Jan 2004 23:19:46 +1300
>Which species of Pleurotomariids have been seen with barnacles on them,
>besides hirasei, which is commonly  found with one or more specimens of
>at least 3 spp of barnacles on the shell?  This is for a research paper
>i'm helping out with, so i hope anyone who has seen barnacles or
>barnacle scars on members of the Pleurotomariidae family will reply.
>Also, what is the approximate or estimated frequency of specimens with
>at least one barnacle, for various populations which members of the list
>may be familiar with? (hirasei included).
>
>Thanks,
>Ross M.

Hi Ross

I recently received a box of 61 P. hirasei. Every one had at least 5
large pinkish balanomorph (acorn) barnacles attached. Some were
really bristling with them. Most of the specimens were
live-colllected.

I have one Bayerotrochus africanus with bases of several balanomorphs
up to 1cm diameter.

None of my other specimens have evidence of having borne barnacles:
P. atlanticus (1)
P. hirasei (2)
P. salmiana (1)
P. vicdani (1)
P. gotoi (1)
E. rumphii (2)
B. africanus (2)
B. teramachii (2)

None of my NZ fossil Perotrochus & Bayerotrochus spp show any signs
of barnacles.
--
Andrew Grebneff
Dunedin, New Zealand