From:
Andrew Grebneff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Jan 2004 00:20:50 +1300
>Are you sure they are egg cases? They look like they could be some
>kind of tunicate (sea squirts. etc.).

I think they are eggcases. I see similar items here in NZ; they are
very thinwalled semispheres, hatched ones having a ragged hole in the
apex. They may be molluscan, though I can't think what species would
lay such cases; not muricid or ranellid. I guess it's possible that
they might belong to fish?

The "fossils in rock" looks like vesicular basalt with calcareous
algal overgrowth, with vermetid gastropods attached or etched-in.

The odd round object with lobes I don't think is a foram... haven't
seen anything remotely like it, and banthics (anything about 2mm or
more would HAVE to be a banthic ie bottom-dwelling foram) but it
could possibly be an echinoderm ossicle. Forams always show signs of
chambering, with an aperture. Not all show visible foramina (the tiny
openings through which many protrude pseudopods). Benthics tend to
lack foramina anyway.
--
Andrew Grebneff
Dunedin, New Zealand