From:
Andrew Grebneff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Jan 2004 20:57:02 +1300
>    So I am to understand that the number "7" is about as pertinent
>as the ancient "4" elements? Then there's the Antarctic Ocean. When
>does it become distinguishable from the oceans it touches? Is it not
>just a "cold South Pacific" frinstance? Is one in it when one sights
>the first penguin on an iceberg?
>     Art

Exactly!

And you raise a good point. Some oceans are fairly well-defined eg
Black Sea, Red, Mediterranean and Arctic..

The Pacific & Atlantic can logically be separated by a north-south
line drawn between the southernmost points of South America & Africa
and Antarctica; where a line betweer the Pacific & Indian should fit
is a bit more problematic... perhaps Tasmania?

But where do you draw logical boundaries for the "Antarctic Ocean"?
This so-called entity is really arbitrary, and technically speaking
there is no such ocean, merely the south Pacific, Atlantic & Indian.
--
Andrew Grebneff
Dunedin, New Zealand