From:
Andy Rindsberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Jan 2004 08:46:26 -0600
Art Weil wrote,
>   I'm delighted that you have finally brought shells into the discussion
(before someone demanded my execution).
>   You have opened a new can of worms---or snails. One wonders exactly how
many species of mollusks might inhabit Liberty Island---or, perhaps, Central
Park, or Golden Gate Park. In some of our semi-wild areas bird counts are
done on a regular basis by groups devoting a Sunday to the task. Has a group
ever done the same for mollusks? Might be a nice task for some club getting
bored with their usual programs.

I heartily agree, with the reminder that the group collect nothing but
photographs and drawings, no specimens. Small, heavily trafficked parks
cannot withstand the love of collectors.

Andrew K. Rindsberg
Geological Survey of Alabama