Date:
Tue, 3 Feb 2004 07:17:01 +0200
Dear Alex,

At the moment I can give you only some general directions where to look for
the information:
Forcart, L., 1972. Systematische Stellung und Unterteilung der Gattung
Sphincterochila Ancey. Archiv fuer Molluskenkunde, 102 (4-6): 147-164.
Kaltenbach, H., 1950. Ergebnisse zoologisch-geologischer Sammelreisen in
N)-Afrika. 3. Die Gattung Sphincterochila Ancey. Archiv fuer Molluskenkunde,
79 (4-6): 155-166.
The distribution in the Levant has been dealt with in:
Bar, Z., 1975. Distribution and habitat of the genus Sphincterochila in
Israel and Sinai. Argamon, Israel Journal of Malacology, 5 (1-4): 1-19.
while the ecology, variability, predation, etc. has been dealt with in
extenso in papers by Yoram Yom-Tov (Tel Aviv University) and a whole group
of people around M. Shachak (Ben Gurion University of the Negev).
Some recent papers on the genetics/chromosomes of Spanish Sphincterochilidae
have been published in Iberus.
Its presence on Malta has been covered in:
Giusti, F., G. Manganelli & P.J. Schembri, 1995. The non-marine molluscs of
the Maltese Islands. Mus. Rg. Sci, Nat. Torina, Monografie, 15: 607 pp.
In that work you will find also references to the distribution elsewhere
(Tunisia, Sicily, Italy), etc.
Success!
Henk K. Mienis