From:
Andy Rindsberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Feb 2004 08:23:12 -0600
Art,

>    The thing about the Coquina is its travels up and down the beach. It
will thrust itself up when expecting a shore wave. Will then be taken up or
down and embed itself in the sand until it senses the approach of another
wave. It must be a most alert c reature---as there are two tides a day. I
wonder when it sleeps. I never take live Coquina---as they have enough to
contend with in their own world. But the abandoned shells can be quite
lovely.

Donax doesn't have to be quite as alert on the Gulf of Mexico, with only one
high and one low tide per day. But I do wonder where they go during
hurricanes. It must be exhausting.

Cheers,
Andy

Andrew K. Rindsberg