From:
Bernd Sahlmann <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 7 Feb 2004 03:29:34 +0100
Dear listers,

several days ago, when I started to compile a database with the recent and
recently described scaphopod species from e. g. Scarabino 1995 and Lamprell
& Healey 1998, I became aware, that meanwhile a bunch of green colored tusk
shells has been described.
The big Dentalium hedleyi, I recently bought, was said to has been colored
bright green when it came up from 210 m, now in dry state it is pale green .
Other green species are eg. Dentalium aprinum, D. elephantinum, D. grahami,
D. jelli, D. exmouthensis. All of them are from circum Australian or
Philippines waters, but from different depths and different biotops.
Perhaps, they share a common foraminiferous diet(??).

Best regards

Bernd Sahlmann
from Munich, Germany