Date:
Sat, 7 Feb 2004 10:23:53 -0500
Hey y'all;-
   Didn't we once talk about the dumbing down of Museums? It seems there is less looking and reading, and more touching and button pressing. I guess it matches today's TV fare. (just don t say nuthin bout my Judge Judy)
    Our museum in Cincinnati sees itself as a small regional institution, dedicated to the local area. It has a wonderful "cave", a riverboat display, a great Ice Age display. They think of shells as being out of our area of expertise and interest---even though we once hosted a pretty good button industry.
    Things change. We'll see.
      Art

> From: Monika Forner <[log in to unmask]>
> Date: 2004/02/07 Sat AM 07:04:21 EST
> To: [log in to unmask]
> Subject: Re: Shell Museums
>
> Hi,
>
> Although I agree with Winston's report on the shell museum in Jeffrey's
> Bay, South Africa, I was even more impressed with another shell museum
> in the vicinity.  At Mossel Bay, also on the Garden Route farther
> southwest than Jeffrey's Bay (on the coast close to George) there is a
> complex of five museums, called the Bartolomeu Dias museum complex.  One
> of them is a dedicated shell museum, which I found very impressive.
> There are a number of "scientific", i.e., well-done explanatory exhibits
> of the ecology of some local common species, some interesting exhibits
> of historical shell usage in that part of the world, and a really quite
> spectacular exhibit on the upper floor of worldwide shells.  Not that it
> is terribly extensive, but the quality of the individual specimens is
> truly outstanding.  I enjoyed my visit there tremendously and would urge
> any of you who spend some time in that neck of the world to take a look.
> Try it, I think you'll like it!
>
> Monika
> (now herself permanently in South Africa, and loving it)

PLEASE NOTE: My new, long-term, and correct email address is: [log in to unmask] Please update your records!