From:
Dan Yoshimoto <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Mar 2004 12:46:36 -0800
Hi All,
        I have been collecting Nucella lamellosa for about 12 years now and
have found that both forms are indeed found inside the quiet bays & coves,
here in Humboldt Co., California, but I've found various intermediate forms
on wave swept rocks. (See photos in the latest Of Sea and Shore magazine
from Tom Rice)  In a 1970's copy of the magazine, Robert Talmadge wrote an
interesting article on the anomalies of the previously written materials
published earlier .  A nice book also is the publication titled "LOCAL
RACES AND CLINES IN THE MARINE GASTROPOD THAIS LAMELLOSA GMELIN, 1791- A
population study" by Trevor Kincaid, published in 1957.  It was a self
published book with original photos pasted inside.  It appears occasionally
on book lists of mollusc.
        Nature is wonderful in that we can never understand it
completely... but we keep trying to make sense out of i all.
Dan

>Hi All,
>Here in the Northeastern Pacific we have a marine gastropod, Nucella
>lamellosa, that has varying amounts of frills on its shells. It has been
>proposed that the outer coast versions are smooth, to prevent the waves
>from catching them, and those that live in protected bays like Puget
>Sound have the most frills (am I using the right term for the frills?).
>The problem is that in Puget Sound you can find both frilly and smooth
>forms, often on the same beach, but only smooth forms on the coast, with
>wave action. My qustion is then, why are smooth forms also found in
>protected waters?
>Roland

><HTML><HEAD>
><META http-equiv=Content-Type content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1">
><META content="MSHTML 6.00.2800.1400" name=GENERATOR></HEAD>
><BODY style="MARGIN-TOP: 2px; FONT: 8pt Tahoma; MARGIN-LEFT: 2px">
><DIV><FONT size=2>Hi All,</FONT></DIV>
><DIV><FONT size=2>Here in the Northeastern Pacific we have a marine gastropod,
>Nucella lamellosa, that has varying amounts of frills on its shells. It
>has been
>proposed that the outer coast versions are smooth, to prevent the waves from
>catching them, and those that live in protected bays like Puget Sound have the
>most frills (am I using the right term for the frills?). The problem is that in
>Puget Sound you can find both frilly and smooth forms, often on the same beach,
>but only smooth forms on the coast, with wave action. My qustion is then, why
>are smooth forms also found in protected waters?</FONT></DIV>
><DIV><FONT size=2>Roland</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

Dan, Hiromi & Kuma Yoshimoto
1164 Vista Dr.
Eureka, California
95503-6018