From:
Bob Abela <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 31 Mar 2004 08:26:13 +1000
I love these questions and I've pondered on this before. My suspicion is
that the ocean populations are, for the most part, isolated from bay
populations. And, not surprisingly, each has adapted shells to best suit
their environment. But there may be times when variables which dictate
isolation breakdown, allowing for an infrequent intermixing of
populations. The frilly forms may have a low survival on the open coast
but the smooth forms may fare much better within calmer bays.

Cheers,
Bob