From:
Phil Liff-Grieff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Aug 2004 22:54:21 -0700
Avril,

Congratulations!  I share your excitement about
running into terrestrials in unexpected places.  If
you haven't already done so, check out the following
internet-accessible publication by Robert Forsythe for
more info on Oreohelicids in your general vicinity:

Forsyth, R.G. 1999b. Terrestrial gastropods of the
Columbia Basin, British Columbia. Living Landscapes,
Royal British Columbia Museum, Victoria. Available in
HTML and PDF format.

Enjoy,

Phil Liff-Grieff

--- Avril <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Hello Conchlers,
>
> Well, for sure one really does not know when you
> will cross paths with a
> snail.
>
> Today my husband, mining partner and I were doing
> assessment work on some of
> our mineral claims way up a mountain (over 5,200
> foot elevation).  There
> sitting on a massive rock slide area was a tiny
> snail.
>
> I brought him home to observe and identify.  He is
> an Oreohelix strigosa
> (Rocky Mountain Snail) Gould, 1846. "Oreo", as he is
> now named, is living in
> a private terrarium until I can return him to his
> alpine home.  He is now
> busy munching on a lettuce leaf, surrounded by moss
> and rocks from his
> homeland.
>
> I suppose this sounds quite silly to everyone; but
> this is the first
> terrestrial shelled gastropod that I have located in
> our area of the East
> Kootenays so to me it's exciting!
>
> If anyone is interested in more info on "Oreo" or
> has information to share
> on this snail, please contact me.
>
> All the best,
> Avril Bourquin