From:
Andrew Grebneff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 5 Dec 2004 00:30:05 +1300
>I have searched the archives for information about ultrasonic cleaning so
>not as to ask the same question again.  I didn't really find indepth
>information.  Can you share your expertise please?
>
>1. Are there different kinds of ultrasonic cleaners?  If so, which work
>best for loosening grime and coraline algae deposits?

Ultrasonic baths are small tubs with transducers in the hollow walls.
Fill them with cold, warm or hot water (detergent optional), turn
them on, drop your object in and let 'er buzz for as long as you
like. Will not touch well-adhering encrustations or solid shells, but
may blow fractured shells apart by cavitation of water in the
fractures. May be of use in cleaning dirt from all sorts of objects
and might be of use to break-up dried animal remains from spires of
gastropods... hmmm... might try it for buzzing the operc out of my
sinistral Clionella?

Ultrasonic scalers have a small box unit with a handheld probe with a
stainless blade; the transducer is in the handpiece and may be
watercooled. These can be gently used as a scraper, and can do a very
good job of removing coralline algae etc, as well as cleaning
fossils. Probably will not touch really hard material. Should not
harm shells unless they are severely leached (soft). Also good for
debarnacling your teeth, as that's what they are designed for.
--
Andrew Grebneff
Dunedin