From:
Guido Poppe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Jan 2005 11:19:54 +0100
True the Taiwanese specimen are in general much heavier and bigger, but
it is definitely the same species. Even in the Philippines size and
thickness of the shell varies with the locality. Tibia martinii is a
deep water species and rare - try to find one yourself.  However, with
the many super fisherman they get them out of the depths occasionally
and in general in quantities. The supply is irregular. Gems are one out
of a dozen - very often growth lines etc...
You can obtain a Taiwanese shell from old collections - I do not know
about recent catches from there. Very often the Taiwanese shells have
this black deposit on them.

Guido
www.conchology.be