From:
mike gray <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Jan 2005 00:16:07 -0500
Tulsa Zoo Nature Exchange wrote:

> The first is regarding Queen Conch.  I have read the legislation and CITES
> information, and I interpret it to mean that it is absolutely illegal (not
> to mention unethical)  to sell or trade Queen Conch. However, another
> Nature
> Exchange in a different city seems to think there is a way around this if
> the shell was obviously collected for food (with the characteristic cut in
> the shell).  We have a few large conchs with pink interiors that were
> donated, and I assume they are Queen.  But when I look at websites for
> shell
> dealers, such as shellhorizons.com,   I see shells like them called "Bahama
> Pink Conch" or "Hatian Conch".  Are these different species? If so, how on
> earth do you tell the difference?  If they are the same, how is it legal
> (or
> ethical)  for them to be sold?

Here in Florida, the Queen (Pink) conch (Strombus gigas) is
protected. The only realistic way to enforce the protection is
to prohibit possession of the species, dead or alive, regardless
where taken, regardless of condition (even rollers). Over the
years, the adults have been fished out and the horse conchs and
octopus decimate what juveniles are left, so there's not much
complaining about the ban.

They are still more common (though less than in the past) in the
rest of the Carib and are taken for food and tourists. The meat
and shells are legally imported, but not by individuals in Florida.

> Finally, I operate on a very lean budget (less than $200 a year for stock
> items).  When we opened last March, we purchased a starting stock from
> Shell
> Horizons that is rapidly running out.  I was told it was a reputable
> company
> by the organization that set up our exchange.  However, I cannot find any
> information about them to prove that they are collecting legally and
> ethically.  Does anyone have insight regarding this company, or suggestions
> about better resources for our tight budget?

I don't think there's much ethical about commercial collecting,
but plenty will argue with me.

Email your address, I'll send you some shells for the kids.