From:
Tom Eichhorst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Jan 2005 09:55:59 -0700
Doug,

As purchaser of one of these dead specimens a couple of years ago, I can
attest that the price was indeed that low and the shell not worth more.  It
made the eventual buy of a decent specimen seem worthwhile.  As for a
collector misidentifying a "famous" rarity, no worries.  I have found there
are collectors out there who do not buy books.  I have been asked to
identify some shells that are present in almost any general shell book.  I
haven't seen a Cypraea leucodon in this manner, but I was sent a nice Zoila
(Cypraea friendi) that the owner thought was Cypraea tigris.  She was quite
pleased to hear her shell was a "fancy shell" as she called it.  Of course,
there was no data.  It had been tossed when the shell was purchased in an
estate sale.

Tom E.