From:
Andy Rindsberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 31 Jan 2005 08:46:35 -0600
Thanks, Amy.

> Athens Georgia is currently experiencing an ice storm.

I was attending a lecture by a son of Jacques Cousteau at Athens when it was
hit by an ice storm in the late 70s. The region had not experienced this for
several years, so the trees were not ready for it. Rain froze on every twig
and limb that night, weighing them down while giving them an eerie beauty.
Soon the braches and even whole trees started coming down with loud cracking
sounds. Power lines were suddenly severed and transformers started blowing,
literally detonating with a cannonlike boom and a flash of blue light. It
was like hearing a lecture in a war zone. M. Cousteau kept gamely at it,
looking nervously to the windows after each flash.

Virtually all the city lost power for two or three cold days. I had gas heat
and a gas stove in my apartment, so I was comfortable, and let some friends
stay with me. Since then, the region has suffered repeated ice storms, but
nothing, I suspect, quite like this.

I hope all is well in Athens today.

Cheers,
Andy