From:
Andy Rindsberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Mar 2005 09:54:18 -0600
Dear Olivier,

> Regarding this Day after Tomorrow, I believe that things might be really
softer: if, for example, the Gulf stream went to stop south of Greenland,
the only major effect might be, in Europa, a kind of Canadian climate ( the
land of ice, wet, stormy, rainy etc. as says Ross). I.e: more snow and
mosquitoes ??? More clouds ? Good thing! The sun is raging these years, and
not only in the southern hemisphere. I suspect this good old ozone layer is
not more very fat, except around the equator.

"The Day After Tomorrow" is based on a crank book that predicts very extreme
storms as a result of climatic change. I am sure that the book sold lots of
copies. It certainly made for a gripping film -- I saw the movie twice.
True, the consensus opinion among climatologists is that global warming will
lead to more frequent and stronger storms, including hurricanes, and this is
bad enough. Florida's experience in 2004 (four hurricanes in two months) may
become almost normal for some areas.

Crop failures north of the Alps are likely to be the most important effect
of a Gulf Stream shutdown. Much less dramatic than everybody freezing to
death in a few seconds. It's hard to grow wheat in the rain. Instead, German
tourists in Spain and English tourists in Italy may simply decide not to go
home...

Cheers,
Andy

Andrew K. Rindsberg