From:
Carlos Afonso <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Mar 2005 08:20:30 -0800
Dear Friends,

There is a Veneridae species that is imported from
Korea and sold in Portugal as Tapes sp. for edible
reasons (maybe Tapes japonica!!). What I have been
said is that this species is cultured in large
quantities in Korea, deep frozen and then exported.
Since the shell is very similar to Tapes decussates,
it is sometime sold in restaurants as T. decussates
with out people even knowing. T. decussates is sold at
a relatively high price (7 to 10 euro Kg) here in
Portugal while this Tapes sp. from Korea can be bought
at 2euro per Kg.
I am sure this occurs with other edible as well as
collectable species :-)...

If someone could help me out with the ID and any other
addition information for this species I would be more
then happy.
I can send attachment image but could not post it on
Conch-L.
My best and sincere regards and thank you,
Carlos Afonso

Celebrate Yahoo!'s 10th Birthday!